In 2008, I combined my love of books with my love of parties. The idea was simple... our family would choose and read a great book. I would invite others to read the same book. I would collect $5 from each participant, plan games, contests, decorations, food and prizes all focused on the theme of the book! The money given by each participant would allow an ample budget for loads of book club party fun! The parties have been wildly successful. As a homeschool mom, I'm proud to say that we learn a little something, too!



Read more here about me, my family and my Book Club Parties. Discuss with me upcoming books and parties, make book suggestions, discuss other books I've read or books you're reading. Also, hopefully (sometime soon) get complete BOOK CLUB PARTY INSTRUCTIONS for all the book club parties I've thrown since 2008!

Friday, June 10, 2011

The Forest of Hands and Teeth

Why do zombies appeal to us... to me? Maybe it's the fact that zombies were once people just like you and me. They are monsters, yes, but it's not their fault. They are just unlucky souls who were infected by a terrible disease. Of course, this terrible disease turns them into the flesh-eating undead... the unconsecrated in Carrie Ryan's THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH. The zombies in this book are simple creatures who want nothing but to hunt, kill and eat humans. The story follows a young girl named Mary who wants more than to be confined in the village where she was born; the same village that is surrounded by tall fences holding the unconsecrated at bay. She finds herself forever wondering if there is something beyond the Forest of Hands and Teeth.

This story was good because it was more than just a zombie story. It's a story about growing up, decision-making, love and coping. I liked the idea of it. I like the main character. In fact, I'm already into book #2, THE DEAD-TOSSED WAVES and loving the turns it takes! Best of all, the author of these wonderful junior books lives right around the corner in Charlotte, North Carolina!!! I wonder if she's ready for a zombie apocalypse? Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment