In 2008, I combined my love of books with my love of parties. The idea was simple... our family would choose and read a great book. I would invite others to read the same book. I would collect $5 from each participant, plan games, contests, decorations, food and prizes all focused on the theme of the book! The money given by each participant would allow an ample budget for loads of book club party fun! The parties have been wildly successful. As a homeschool mom, I'm proud to say that we learn a little something, too!



Read more here about me, my family and my Book Club Parties. Discuss with me upcoming books and parties, make book suggestions, discuss other books I've read or books you're reading. Also, hopefully (sometime soon) get complete BOOK CLUB PARTY INSTRUCTIONS for all the book club parties I've thrown since 2008!

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Beautiful Creatures

Although the idea of this book was original, it was entirely too long and drawn out. I found myself wanting it to be over with, and that's never good! The story is about a strange yet beautiful girl who moves into a haunted house with her reclusive uncle. A popular boy in the very small town of Gatlin is drawn to her and gives up pretty much all his friends (but one) to befriend her. Come to find out, she is the girl of his dreams... literally. They share disturbing dreams and have for years. The can also communicate just by thinking thoughts to each other... hmmm. Anyway, the book spent over 500 pages preparing you for the night the powerful (who knew?) girl would turn 16 and be claimed for either light or dark. SPOILER ALERT... I will save u the trouble by telling you she somehow (who really knows) gets out of the claiming... the bad guys disappear (again, who knows why) and the book ends SPOILER ALERT... with a stupid poem about the girls 17th birthday. So, after reading the whole book that kept going back to a poem about her 16th birthday, I'm guessing the two female authors of this book have set us up for another 500+ pages of "OH NO, I'M GONNA TURN 17 AND BE CLAIMED FOR EVIL... WOE IS ME!"

PS The name of the 2nd is out and called Beautiful Darkness. The series is planned for 5 books total, and there is talk of a movie! Lastly, this book has been compared to TWILIGHT. Maybe I'm just missing something in my reading of it. I might (when I have nothing better to read) pick up book 2 from the library. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment