In 2008, I combined my love of books with my love of parties. The idea was simple... our family would choose and read a great book. I would invite others to read the same book. I would collect $5 from each participant, plan games, contests, decorations, food and prizes all focused on the theme of the book! The money given by each participant would allow an ample budget for loads of book club party fun! The parties have been wildly successful. As a homeschool mom, I'm proud to say that we learn a little something, too!



Read more here about me, my family and my Book Club Parties. Discuss with me upcoming books and parties, make book suggestions, discuss other books I've read or books you're reading. Also, hopefully (sometime soon) get complete BOOK CLUB PARTY INSTRUCTIONS for all the book club parties I've thrown since 2008!

Thursday, June 2, 2016

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

     Ove is a grumpy old man, but I couldn't help but love him... I mean truly LOVE him.  It is rare that I connect with a character like I did with Ove, but I found myself understanding him and wanting to know more and more about him.  As Ove goes about his highly structured life day in and day out holding true to his staunch principles and strict routines.  Ove has a short fuse, and people in the neighborhood call him "the bitter neighbor from hell."  Ove points out he's not bitter just because he doesn't walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time!
     Of course, there is more to Ove than meets the eye which is so often true.  His is story filled with love and laughter and too much sadness for Ove to bear.  As Ove plans his demise a chatty young couple with two young daughters accidentally flatter Ove's mailbox as they are moving in to the house next door.  What ensues is a  seriously funny heartwarming tale of unkempt frozen cats, unexpected friendships and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul.
     This story made me feel GOOD, and it made me cry... which is truly unheard of when it comes to books!  WOW is all I can say!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment